TriPan 2026 - Half Ironman Distance Triathlon
TriPan in Panevėžys became another highlight of this year's season. After returning from Peru on 14 June, there wasn't much time before racing started. Two weeks later I took part in the Olympic-distance triathlon in Trakai, and another month later I found myself standing at the start of TriPan...
I didn't try to fit a complete half-Ironman training block into those few weeks. Instead, I continued with the routine that had become part of my everyday life: swimming in the lake on Saturdays, riding around 110 kilometres on Sundays, regular runs during the week, and enjoying the process without trying to optimise every session. With the 105 km Kuršių Nerija Ultra Trail still waiting in October, there was no reason to shape the whole season around a single race.
I still had one goal in mind—to finish in under five hours. It wasn't a source of pressure, just a direction. Once the starting horn sounds, there is little left to think about except the next buoy, the next corner, and the next kilometre...
The race began at noon. The weather was almost ideal for endurance racing: cloudy skies kept the sun hidden for most of the day, the temperature stayed pleasantly warm at around 23°C, and there was little wind. It was one of those days when you could simply focus on racing without constantly thinking about the heat.
The swim took place in the Nevėžis River. Although the water wasn't perfectly still—as you would expect from a river - the current was barely noticeable, and the conditions remained very comfortable throughout the swim. Athletes started in groups of around 30 every two minutes, which helped spread the field and avoided the chaos of a mass start.
Later, watching the drone footage gave a completely different perspective of the swim - the way athletes gradually moved along the river and how the race looked from above.
I completed the 1.9 km swim in 34:58, maintaining a pace of 1:50/100 m, which placed me 39th after the first discipline.
In just a couple of minutes the race changes completely: the wetsuit comes off, the helmet goes on, the bike is waiting, and suddenly the quiet rhythm of swimming is replaced by the speed of cycling...
After a 2:27 transition, it was time to get on the bike...
The cycling course consisted of eight laps of approximately 11.15 kilometres through the streets of Panevėžys. Riding multiple laps may sound repetitive on paper, but it had its advantages. Every corner became familiar, it was easy to judge the effort, and with spectators gathered around the central sections of the course, there was always something happening.
The cloudy sky and a temperature of just over 23°C created comfortable racing conditions, making it easier to hold a steady pace throughout the 90 kilometres.
It became a matter of settling into a rhythm, staying on top of nutrition and hydration, and watching one lap quietly turn into the next...
The bike split was 2:36:33, with an average speed of 34.5 km/h. It was not about pushing into the red zone, but about keeping the effort controlled, drinking and eating regularly, and arriving at the second transition ready for the final discipline.
Changing into running shoes always feels like pressing the reset button. The body needs a few minutes to remember how to run again, but once that awkward feeling disappears, the final part of the day begins.
The half marathon consisted of four laps along the lakeside and the banks of the Nevėžis River. Although the course repeated itself, it never became monotonous. The combination of water, green surroundings, and enthusiastic spectators created a pleasant atmosphere throughout the afternoon...
The half marathon time was 1:41:05, with an average pace of 4:47/km. During the run, there were some difficult moments - as there are in every long-distance race - but the important part was staying calm, adjusting the pace, and finding a way to continue. Instead of fighting against the situation, I focused on controlling what I could and gradually building towards the finish.
Crossing the finish line in 4:56:28, I knew the day had gone exactly as planned. A sub-five-hour half-Ironman, a beautiful course, comfortable conditions, and another memorable day outdoors...
Every such race is a little different, and it is never completely predictable. Nutrition, hydration, weather, and the body's condition can change from day to day. There are always new challenges to solve. This race also had difficult moments, but the most important part was staying calm, adjusting the pace, and finding a way forward.
On the run, I had to listen to my body, control the effort, and gradually build towards a strong finish. For me, this is one of the most valuable parts of endurance sports - not avoiding difficulties, but learning how to deal with them when they appear.
The emotions, physical condition, and circumstances are never exactly the same. Every race becomes a different experience because we ourselves are different every day. As I always say, a race is absolutely not the main reason why I train. The real value is in the everyday process - the kilometres, the early mornings, the small improvements, and simply staying active. I just find that my life becomes more enjoyable when I have this rhythm: training, exploring new places, and having something to look forward to. A race only gives this process an additional direction and helps bring more structure to the training.
Comments
Post a Comment